The internet made it possible to establish a rich net of connections all across the globe. According to the six degrees of separation, we only need a couple of people who know someone who know someone to be linked to any person on this globe.
Being linked to someone doesn’t mean you truly are connected, however. Networking on an eye-to-eye basis simply cannot be substituted. Most frequently mentioned benefits of traditional networking include:
- Generation of Referrals & Advice: you might be looking for a new financial adviser or mobile phone carrier – rest assured: the person standing next to you has something to say about the topic.
- Industry News: we are all doing our best to stay informed reading newspapers and trade publications, but talking to a person who is experiencing the news on a daily basis in invaluable.
- Community: networking events connect you to your area’s community and creates a strong feeling of belonging. It makes you a part of a greater good and allows you to work for a better tomorrow for everybody in the community.
- Raising Your Profile: many networking events provide educational components. Be part of an expert panel or have a presentation about what made you successful. Be inspirational. Become relevant.
- Friendship: networking is business, but it can be so much more. You meet people who went to the same college, whose kids go to the same school, or who have the same exotic hobby. A simple conversation can truly connect you to a person.
We at Media Link embrace networking for the sake of creating better business, for a stronger community and for creating friendship. Whether it’s the Network @ Noon, Executives Club, Morning Network, PR Network Events, SBA & WBDC events or others please feel free to approach us and introduce yourself if you see anyone of us. We’d love to talk to you!